Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thunderstorms

It was a fear that crept up on nights like these. With no one around and my eye lids heavy begging to sleep, I ball myself into a blanket, shielding me from the thing I fear the most... thunderstorms. With every loud roar and sudden bright light, my body cringed.

I search for my phone, which was hiding about some where on my bed. Boom! Another loud roar. Panic-stricken, I look harder, and finally found it hiding under my lazy cat. There is only one person  whose voice had the power to sooth all my fears away.

After the second ring, he picks up.

"Piglet? Its late, what's wrong?" I can hear the grogginess in his voice.

"I can't sleep... Well... It's more like the Cyclops outside my house is causing too much of a racket." I try to humor him so I look less like a baby.

I can hear him smile, "I heard you were due for a storm. I guess it's passing through now?"

"Ah huh... Can you stay on the phone with me?"

Instantly, I feel a sense of security. It's amazing that even 200 miles apart, Jorge has the ability to make me feel safe. Still hiding under my covers he tells me about his day; what he learned in class, what new adventure he encountered on campus and how much he misses me. I could feel myself slipping, his voice becoming distant... until I fall into a deep peaceful dream.

It was those lonely nights that made it the hardest for me to bare, showing me how much I rely on him. Especially the other day, when a dreadful thunderstorm passed through. My body would still pulse with every boom and clash, however this time, it was his warm touch that washed over me. He wrapped his arm around my body, making mine flushed to his. And I was no longer focusing on the unwelcome Cyclops. Instead, I nuzzled my face into his chest, falling asleep to the sound of his heart beat.



No comments:

Post a Comment